Tuesday, May 12, 2015

A ‘Tree’ grows in UB

Artist D.Bayartsetseg is presenting her solo exhibition called “Tree” at Lilium Gallery & Lounge through May 6.
The exhibition was very interesting to explore and somehow gave me a moment of calm. Visitors to the exhibition are given a chance to meditate for a while in the gallery. I sat on a pillow sewn by the artist and in front of me was a picture of four butterflies and a tree on the ground. Of her selected natural themes the artist said, “The sun can shine upon my leaf. It can rain on my leaf, or dirt can fall on my leaf. Some leaves can become allergic to the dirt, while some leaves can be eaten by butterflies.”
It was really interesting to draw what I felt during the meditation on a piece of paper shaped like a leaf. The interactive artwork was a nod to the artist’s creative process. She told the UB Post, “My creations are based on meditation. Only one detail is repeated many times. It isn’t about copying but it is about generating a new [detail]. In nature, even though leaves grow from one tree, every leaf is different. I think, there are no things in nature that are repeated.”
 The following is an interview with D.Bayartsetseg about her work as an artist.
The exhibition gives me a feeling of calm. Is this the main purpose of your exhibition? 
An artist is a person who creates and gives the viewer an impression. As I am an artist, I wish for those impressions to be rich. Even though my exhibition doesn’t have a lot of different colors, I wish the spirit of the exhibition to be rich. So there is no definition or conclusion here.
The main purpose of the exhibition is very simple. It is the expression of the feelings of an individual person. The expression itself is the imagery and drawings. My technique is very simple: it is the line. This line is endless. Maybe it will end after my death. My father always tells me, “The human life is like a growing tree.” 
Why did you want to present this exhibition? 
I think artists don’t need any reason for painting. Nature itself is beautiful. It doesn’t look beautiful when it is devoted to humans. There is a tree growing behind me, like I do. When the wind blows, it doesn’t have any reason to blow.
 When young artists start to paint, it is hard to discover who they are. How did you find yourself? 
I don’t exactly know if I found myself or if I am still obtaining myself. Every piece that an artist creates doesn’t become an exhibition. The most important thing for youth who are interested in the arts and who haven’t found themselves yet, is to be loyal to their interests and love of fine arts. If youth want to present an exhibition, they can do it, even if they are students or are young. Before holding a pencil and sitting down, the person must know exactly who he or she wants to be.
During this exhibition, I found one page in my notebook from when I was planning my exhibition project. On that paper, I wrote down around 30 to 40 questions for myself. The questions were, “Why do trees grow?” and “Why do leaves grow?” When I answered all my questions, I got an idea to write a poem. This poem consisted of only questions. It was the breakthrough I found through myself. Young artists must be critical of themselves. To be critical, a person must start from the right place.
 What do you love to do when you have free time? 
Artists almost never have free time. I work hard. Sometimes I don’t even have any time to eat or to sleep. Every day is busy for me. 
What is your favorite color?
 Colors of nature are all beautiful. Nature has so many different colors. My favored colors are yellow, blue and white. I think these colors attract a person somehow, because somehow they are favorable to the person

No comments:

Post a Comment